We want Monmouthshire to be a place where you feel supported in your career and can access the education, employment, and skills that you need to thrive throughout your working life.
The Employment and Skills Team is made up of various projects to support people from school age upwards with a range of employment and training needs.
We can help with:
- One to one advice and guidance
- Training and Qualification
- Employment & Wellbeing Support
- Support for pupils
- Youth Homelessness
Contact us today and get help with your career.
Through working with our communities, we will create an Employment and Skills support network that will meet the expectations and needs that you and our local businesses deserve, further establishing Monmouthshire as one of the best places in the country to live, learn and work.
We want ‘your’ Monmouthshire to be a place where you feel supported, provided an opportunity to access the education, employment, and skills you need to thrive throughout your working life.
Our plan sets out how our Employment and Skills Team intend to support individuals of working age progress by gaining the skills our economy needs:
This will be achieved by:
- Keeping active within the community through our employment programmes.
- Actively seeking future funding opportunities to ensure we can provide the best possible services.
- Continuing our work within schools, supporting those who need it most, ensuring they have the same learning opportunities as their peers and are not left behind.
- Working to support Young People affected by Homelessness or at risk of becoming homeless.
- Increasing the range of qualifications we offer, meeting local community and business needs.
- Offering opportunities to up skill or retrain, tailoring to meet both yours, your employer and future employer expectations.
- Creating apprenticeship, graduate and internship posts to meet skills gaps within the local authority and surrounding business community.
- Reduce Barriers to Work
- Intensive Tailored Support
- Gain Valuable Job Search and Job Applications Support
- Building and Improving CVs
- Improve Interview Techniques and Mock Interviews
- Support into Work and In Work
Skills and Training Support
- Re-Train or Upskill to Match Employment Opportunities
- Gain Transferable Skills or Re-Skill
- Address Individual Skills
- Vocational Training Courses including Level 2 Health and Safety, Food Hygiene and Personal License Holders
- Individual Mentoring – Advice and Guidance
- Mental Health and Well-Being Support
- Advocacy Support for 16 -25 Year Olds at Risk of Becoming Homeless
- Access to a Range of Specialist Services
What have we been doing?
To date, our Employment and Skills Team have engaged with 1,540 Monmouthshire residents aged 11+.
Our employability projects have supported 214 participants aged 16+ into employment.
School based projects have supported 694 young people aged 11-18.
Through our skills and qualification support for participants aged 16+, we have supported 168 participants.
Our Compass project, which supports young people aged 11-25 facing difficulties with housing and homelessness, has supported 67 participants into more stable housing or specialist support services.
Additionally, our Employment and Skills Team have worked to create opportunities within Monmouthshire County Council through the Apprenticeship Graduate and Internship (AGI) scheme.
- Recruited 20 new Apprentices
- 168 staff within MCC have been signed up to apprenticeships to up-skill, 85 of these being higher level apprenticeship (Level 4/5).
We have been successful with a bid to deliver the UK Government’s Kickstart Scheme, which has enabled us to help create 108 opportunities for participants aged 16 to – 24 years old in receipt of Universal Credit in Monmouthshire.
Our support is aided by UK government, Welsh Government Funded Projects and the European Social Fund.
- Communities for Work +